Sunday, February 19, 2012

Quiet Book - Overview

This post shows all the pages and their activities. Enjoy - this was a fun (and challenging) project!

Photobucket




Page 1 - Camping With Dad <-- Click the titles to visit the page's post for instructions


Photobucket

On this page, the activity is to "pitch" a tent by tying its lines to stakes in the ground. I used nylon material on the tent to get a realistic texture and only attached the tent at the top and bottom. This allows it to have some "flop" so one can feel as if they are pitching a tent for real.

I even built working flaps into the tent and whipped up a overnight "guest" inside the tent.

Photobucket

Page 2 - Sushi Shapes

Photobucket

This is by far my favorite page in the spread, not only because I love sushi (so does the book recipient), but because I've just darn never seen this done before. I really quite enjoy creating something with an original idea. And it's educational to boot. But, it was also the most technically challenging because of all the round shapes and next time I'll likely make it differently.

I used my diecutter to make the shapes with flocked heat transfer vinyl. I used this material extensively in this project and it really helped me do some really cool things.

Photobucket

Pieces on the cutting board

Photobucket

The knife can be used to "slice" the piece of roll off.

Photobucket

All of the pieces matched into the bento box

Photobucket

Page 3 - Flying Fish

Photobucket

A pretty straightforward page where one catches sequined fish.

Photobucket

Page 4 - Around Town

Photobucket

This page comes in at a close second for my favorite pages. I honestly was sad that I only had two 7" x 7" spaces to work with as there are so many fun things to do with this idea. The activity here is to "drive" cars to their destinations by sliding them along fabric tracks (I think my execution was pretty clever if I do say so...). Another highly complex page, but it definitely shows in the end.

A car having "arrived"

Photobucket

Here's a lousy cell phone video of how the car moves. This also demonstrates my inability to hold the phone in the proper position for taking video:



I put a lot of detail into this page, such as the custom license plates on the cars, terry pool towels, shovels, and (halfway) working swings

Photobucket

All in all, a fun page I'll certainly make again.

Page 5 - Fun in the Sun

Photobucket

A fun little page where the activity is to unzip a beach bag and unload its contents. Due to time constraints, I had to put this page together the only way I knew how. On my next pass I'll change a few things.

Items in the bag:

Photobucket

The surfboards also come out of their sand berms to find someone that was enjoying the privacy.

Photobucket

Page 6 - A Stroll on the Savanna

The activity here is to leash up a giraffe and take it for a walk. Another page where time was running short and I'll change a few things on the next attempt, but all in all a quirky take on a common task. I did not use proper hardware here for safety reasons.

Photobucket

And that's it!


Thanks for visiting!

21 comments:

  1. WOW! This is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Found you through a Facebook post JoAnns made, and am definitely following to see more of your great projects! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a link to your blog on JoAnn Craft stores' facebook page. I love your quiet book -- it's so imaginative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too found you through Joann's FB page. I love your book and would definitely be interested in the pattern when you are done! I am off to go peek around your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love the patterns to all your books to make for my nephew for his birthday. So creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is incredible! I also found you through Joann's FB page and am so happy I did! I will become a follower as soon as this comment is done! Great job and the recipient is one lucky dog! Aloha, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this is fabulous!! When i saw the picture of SUSHI page on facebook, i had to come to check! It's so neat! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want the pattern! So adorable! I'm pregnant and feeling crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable! I found you on Pinterest. I'm trying to make a quiet book and the flocking idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle,
    just found your awesome activity book on Pinterest and am sooooo in love with it! I know it's a lot of sewing evenings but I'd love the pattern to try and make a copy for my two boys... I know they'd ADORE it!! The most wonderfully detailed activity book I've seen yet!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Michelle,
    I think your quiet book is so awesome. I love you ideas and unique pages. I would love a copy of your patterns. Thanks so Much Cindie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your book! How do you do your lettering?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love the pattern. Just found you. I have 4 grandchildren I sew for. Love your ideas. Can I still get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Debbie! I would love to make these for my grandkids too! Would love to have the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quiet book is adorable! What do you use to do the writing on the fabric?

    ReplyDelete